Saturday, September 20, 2014

Granite Games 2014, team style!



The GG this year had a very extended qualifier, and after regionals I was pretty exhausted more mentally then physically. I decided to give GG qualifier a shot anyways because that's just what I do =).

After the long long qualifier I managed to make it into the RX division, but the whole time thought how I didn't feel great during the whole qualified...maybe a little tired still from regionals who knows. After not thinking too hard I decided to do a two person team with Amanda from KF. Less pressure, more fun, Amanda is stronger then I am...it was a good decision!

After competing all weekend with Amanda, the team thing was just what I had expected...a good thing. The first workout was similar to last year a snatch ladder, I managed to get 110lbs, tried 120 a few times but no go. I had gotten 120lbs earlier in the week at KF. My nerves still get the best of me when it comes to olympic lifting and one rep max stuff. At least I got the 110 though, whereas last year I couldn't even get 98lbs...progress =) Amanda did awesome and got 140lbs for a PR! We were in fourth place after the first event which was awesome, even with my non so heavy lift.

Second event was the deadly ropes 3 rounds per person 2 rope climbs, 4 DL at 205 and 6 burpees. That one went well too, and wasn't too bad.

Second day was the chipper. I thought this one went really well. The workout was
150 DU
30 S2OH
40 BJ
70 C2bar pull ups
30 S2OH
40 BJ
150 DU
I was able to get a PR of 100 DU in a row on the first one, which helped Amanda  save her shoulders for the first set of S2OH, otherwise we broke up things pretty evenly.

Second event on Sat was a bit heavier 30 cleans and 30 MU's cleans at 140 were a bit tough for me, since Amanda could handle more weight it worked out. I did one for every 2 reps she did. And I did all of the muscle ups or as many as I could do, which was 13 total. Amanda tried a few times and she was super close! I really wanted 15, but the rings were super high so Amanda had to help me up every time which made things go slower. Either way still have to work on my MU's and getting stronger.

Third day was a 5K run, I was looking forward to that one. Even though I haven't been running as much as normal, the run is still the run for me, it's a familiar territory in a sense. I got 20:40 which wasn't horrible, 6:40 pace and second in our RX division. Amanda did pretty good too, so we were able to get 3 place overall in that event with our combined times.

The last even was the sprint which was 6 rounds of 100 meter sprint and 20 TTB. I love TTB's!! We were able to get first place in that event, which was awesome!

Top 12 teams make it to the finals and we did, being 2 place overall after all of the events.


The last event wasn't too great I thought. Last year seemed longer and more fun. This year it went...One partner does 30 cal row and 30 HSPU then the other partner cleans as a  heavier speed ladder up to 165lbs, then you switch and the other partner does 15 cal row, 15 HSPU and the other partner does a lighter clean ladder up to 145lbs. This worked out perfectly for Amanda and I!!! We did pretty good in that event as well as were able to walk away with second place overall for the weekend!!!

All in all I wasn't nervous at all like I've been in the past, which was a good thing. There is a certain amount of calmness knowing you have another person out there with you, but at the same time there is a little pressure to make sure you aren't holding your partner back. I think Amanda and I made a really good team though. We balanced each other out well for sure. The rest of the KF crew did really good as well, and there were a lot of people doing their first ever comp. Kurbs and Stacy did pretty well in their division, crushing the run for sure!

Next up...more strength, the story of my CF endeavor.







No comments:

Post a Comment