Saturday, May 17, 2014

CrossFit Regionals Chicaaaaga...I EXCITE =)



Regionals finished up last weekened and what an experience. From the nerves, to disappoitment, to ripped fingers, to awesome memories, as I look back now the weekend was a great learning experience. The more I think about last weekend and reflect on how things went, I am not unhappy with how I did, but wish I was a little more prepared. Then again I remember how little time I've devoted to CrossFit, after getting pretty serious right after Granite Games in October, and I guess I've come a long way, but still feel weird being at the bottom at Regionals (that's just my competitive side).

I had a lot of nerves going into the weekend, and especially after hearing the first two events were a snatch event, and handstand walk (snatch still a scare for me, and hanstand walk I had never done). I practiced the HS walk a lot, but to this day still can't really do it. The snatch event didn't go very well because I was so nervous coming out I accidentely put on 10lbs more then I wanted on my second attempt without knowing it. When I missed I thought I was at 100lbs, so I put on another 2.5 on each side, and when asking the judge what weight I missed the second attempt he said 110, I was like shit! But once you put the weight on the bar you can't take it off, so I had to attempt 115, which was NOT in the game plan...Oh well rookie mistake...The HS walk didn't go great either, got 0...oh well on to the next event of Nasty Girls V2.

Day 1
Nasty Girls V2 (3 rounds 50 pistols, 7 MU's, 10 hang cleans at 115lbs) went alright, I really struggled with the MU's more then normal. I think I was not used to not jumping up as I had to start from a dead hang position and swing which required a lot more energy. I still really need to work on my transition with the MU as well. I can dip no problem, but that transition really messes me up! I ended up in 28st place out of 31 for that one, with one MU into the third round.

Day 2
The events started at noon which was nice. The teams always went first in the AM. 21, 15, 9, 6, 3 Strict HS Push ups, FS at 125lbs, and burpees 20min cap. I got through the 3 of the 6 handstands. I was pretty happy with that, my goal was to complete 21, 15, 9 which I did...I had just learned how to do strict HS a week before after they anounced the workouts, so that was also a bit rough for me. I was able to grind out the FS ok, but had to break up the 21s and 15's. So close to getting to that 6 FS...next time! 21st on this one.

Later in the day was the legless rope climb, another thing I had never tried until they announced the workout the week before. I had practiced a few times at KF, but the rope there was made of different material and wasn't as high. The WOD was 10 rounds of one climb legless, and 200 run, 11min cap. I started out on the first one really good, but then it all fell apart, and I had about 5 or 6 where I was so close, but couldn't not get all the way up there. It was a soul crusher!!! I finished with only 2 climbs, sad! I ripped my finger too coming off the rope after I decided to take my gloves off half way through the workout. I think maybe not wearing gloves might have been better, as it seemed I had better grip when I took those off.  26th on this one.

Day 3
The 50's the workout I tried at KF, got all the way through the Box jumps in the 21min time cap when I tried. The WOD 50 cal row, 50 DL, 50 WB, 50 ring dips, 50 WB, 50 DL, 50 BJ, 50 cal row. The thing that stuck out on this one was how many no reps I got on the wall balls, geez!! The height was the men's height which I found out later, and you had to hit a small round target, which was something I hadn't practiced either. Either way I was able to finish 13th for this one, my best placement, finishing with 15 DL coming back the 50's. I apparently am also pretty good at ring dips, since I was able to pull away from some of the leaders after getting to that movement. That WOD took a lot out of me though, physically. I'd say more so then any other WOD the whole weekend.

One an hour or so later was the dreaded 64 pull ups and 8 OHS WOD at 135lbs 6min cap. The dreaded more so because the 135 OHS was really hard for me, and I was really aiming to get through one rep suceesfully. Then again I think I sold myself short because after I got the one after coming off the PU bar first I sort of told myself well you got one that's good enough....(not a good thing to tell youself). The pull ups went well, first time trying butterfly during a workout. If I could keep the rhythm I wouldn't have had to come off the bar as much as I did. Another thing to practice!

I felt like there were a lot of things I need to work on skill wise. It gets to be frustrating when I know I can grind through workouts but was stopped because I couldn't do legless climbs, or strict HS push ups well, but that's the beaty of CrossFit, you have to be able to do it ALL!!!

A little time off the barbell for now, as I'm having some major elbow issues. Have a triathlon I signed up for in June and another trail run, then likely get back on the serious training for CF again with goals of working on skills, strength as always, and oly lifting. I feel a bit less preasure now with time on my side, and not having to rush to get stronger or learn new skills weeks before a huge competition.

The support from everyone that came and everyone back home was amazing!!! At times I feel so weird to have this much attention because I still feel like a newbie to the sport of CF. The weirdest part was when we had our athlete meetings and the head judge said you guys are all elites athletes in CF, and we want to get the best of you to Carson for the games, and I thought to myself how the heck am I sitting here right now...I know I deserved to be there, but at the same time it was like, how am I sitting here amongst these beasts, and a place I never thought I'd be at a year ago. It's a crazy feeling. I did try my best to enjoy it all and take it all in. Also the volunteering and the overall event was awesome. Super organized and very professional venue.

On a side note we had some good food while in Chicago and got to see the bean! Also the bars in Chicago aren't open very late as we found out trying to go celebrate on Sunday night..





No comments:

Post a Comment