Saturday, February 15, 2014

FreezeFest 2014, Shrugged Program, Okoboji Throwdown, and some PRs






I was doing this event again this year, and had signed up all the way in October at the GG. The qualification for RX were a little heavy but I decided to go for it, as I figured I'd hopefully be there in the four months. We also started the barbell shrugged program in Oct which has been huge in helping me reach some awesome PR's in Oly lifts as well as squats. I can honestly say I had never squatted like I have until we started this program, which is a good thing.

Back to FF. I wasn't too excited for the programming, and was only really looking to the Thrusters/Pull Up/Run WOD. The event was huge this year, 70 teams, 6 events with the final three being the final.

The first WOD was a clean and hang clean ladder, I surprised myself and got 145 for both, but could not clean 155 which would have been a PR clean for me. Danny did awesome with a PR 235lb clean.

Second WOD was a partner carry, with sandbag squats, nothing too crazy there.

Third, Forth, and Fifth was a dead lift 3min, 1min rest, burpee box jumps 3min 1 min rest, and handstand walk 3min. That went pretty well, expect that I could not handstand walk, but my partner Danny could! I felt a little dumb walking behind him, but I was glad that at least one of us could do it. Something to work on for sure!!

The day was long and since there were a lot of teams there was a lot of down time. The last WOD was the only I was looking forward to, and I felt awesome doing it, but we didn't finish in the time cap 6min, not many did.
WOD was 12 thrusters 75lbs, 12 C2Bar pull ups, while one person does work the other runs 175meters around the Union Depot. I felt great, and was bummed that we didn't make the last three workouts...Oh well, next year!

Gabe and Kurbs did FF too, and also did awesome in the last event. Kim did all the pull ups, and G all the thrusters, it was a perfect combo! They finished in the time cap too.

Accomplishments thus far 110 snatch PR on 2/14/14 V-day!! 155 squat clean same week two days before, re did GG WOD with the DL and BS, in 8:16, in Oct I did not finish the WOD in the 12min time cap, so I was happy!

All in all the training has been tough, but I'm liking it a lot. Gearing up for the OPEN and retesting some WODs has been really good. I know my strength has improved, but I know I have more strength to gain. It's a long process and I finally am OK with that!

Last but not least Kim and I did a mini comp in Iowa two weekends before FF, it was a lot of fun. There was a fun swim WOD which I had never done, and I got second. Kim did really well also in one of her first solo comps!!

Some Pics from the Okoboji  Comp


No comments:

Post a Comment